HomeNewsNational
National
Share
Bookmark
Print
Email
Rating
KAMPALA
State House yesterday issued a public alert, warning that cases of suspected fraudsters claiming to be its employees, and using that cover to con people, are on the increase.
The conmen are said to have swindled several unsuspecting Ugandans, promising them jobs, scholarships and lucrative business opportunities abroad, especially in China.
In a statement issued yesterday, President Museveni’s Deputy Press Secretary, Ms Linda Nabusayi, warned the public to be vigilant.
“This is to warn and alert members of the public that State House does not charge any money for any services rendered to the public.
Jobs in State House are either through direct appointment by H.E. the President or through the Public Service Commission which is responsible for providing government with employees of the right calibre, in the right numbers and placed in the right jobs at the right time,” Ms Nabusayi said.
Last week, 11 Ugandans (two women and nine men) reportedly arrived in China, chasing after promises of massive business dealings and lucrative jobs.
According to sources, the Ugandans could not find the contact person they were told would be waiting for them on arrival. They are now stranded with nothing to eat and no- where to stay. The hotel they were told they were booked into apparently does not exist.
The victims also informed Ugandan officials that three other groups would be travelling to China on March 17, March 24 and March 27, all hoping to get business deals and jobs. According to sources, State House has forwarded the matter to police for investigation.
“Our security sources are already investigating cases of fraud involving such conmen,” Ms Nabusayi said.
CID Director Grace Akullo was not available for comment by press time yesterday as she was reported to be held up in security meetings.
The State House alert comes on the back of an upsurge in cases of human trafficking involving young Ugandan women. The victims in China told Ugandan authorities that they had paid Shs3m each to a man only identified as ‘Kayongo’ who claimed to work at State House.
‘Kayongo’ is said to be working with other persons, yet to be identified. The conmen apparently hover around State House Entebbe to collect the money. According to the victims, Kayongo claimed they were saving them the trouble of navigating past State House’s elaborate security protocol by collecting the money outside State House.
The conmen tell their victims the money is meant to facilitate their visa requirements, transport and accommodation while in China.
Ms Nabusayi said State House does not encourage lobbying of any form or payment by people seeking help in terms of scholarships, medical, jobs or appointments.
A travel bureau operating on Kirumira Towers in Kampala has been identified as one of the places the unsuspecting victims visit to acquire travel documents and air tickets.
jnjoroge@ug.nationmedia.com
